Buzzfeed is a surprisingly good source of food recipes and advice. A strange thing to admit but their round-up posts, like this one on salads, and their advice posts, like this one on cookies at christmas (a personal favourite), are useful and interesting and engage with food in a way that not many food sites do.
Anyway, this week they linked to Food52‘s SMASHING recipe for salt crusted potatoes. I tried the recipe out yesterday and I have to say, the results are stunning. The combination of salt and potatoes is just so good and so simple.
They look great too as the pictures suggests and they are easy to make, very easy!
Recipe: Salt Crusted Potatoes
Summary: Easy, delicious snacks or sides
- 1 Kg of evenly sized waxy new potatoes, washed but not peeled.
- Sea salt flakes
- Put the potatoes into a wide, shallow pan in which they fit in a single layer. Add 2 tablespoons of sea salt flakes and just cover them with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, and leave to boil rapidly until the water has evaporated.
- Turn the heat to low and continue to cook for a few minutes, gently turning the potatoes over occasionally, until they are dry and the skins are wrinkled and covered in a thin crust of salt.
- Serve with a sauce of your choice (butter works a charm as you’d expect).
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4