I did take pictures of these beauties, but I misplaced most of them, so I only have the two you see here, very tasty muffins all the same, though a bit of hassle involved in getting them ready and on the plate.
Summary: These gorgeous Christmassy muffins are only slighted adapted from Donal Skehan’s recipe and feature Delia Smith’s wonderful and easy gingerbread recipe as decoration.
For the muffins:
- 100g of butter
- 200ml of buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large free range eggs
- 100g of caster sugar
- 50g of dark brown sugar
- 250g of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 200g of cream cheese
- 450g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the gingerbread people:
- 75g light brown soft sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of cloves
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 95g block butter
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g plain flour sifted, plus a little more (if needed)
- First make the gingerbread.
- Put the sugar, syrup, treacle, water, spices and zest together in a large saucepan.
- Then bring them to boiling point, stirring all the time. Now remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter (cut into lumps) and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Next stir in the flour gradually until you have a smooth manageable dough – add a little more flour if you think it needs it.
- Now leave the dough covered in a cool place to become firm (approximately 30 minutes).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Now roll the dough out to 3mm thick on a lightly floured surface and cut out the gingerbread men.
- Arrange them on the baking sheets and bake near the centre of the oven, one sheet at a time, for 10–15 minutes until the biscuits feel firm when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled, set aside and move onto the muffins
- Now make the muffins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Melt the butter and set aside for a few minutes to cool
- Whisk the cooled melted butter together the butter, buttermilk, lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl or mixer beat the eggs and the sugars until they are fully combined and fluffy.
- Add in the butter mixture and whisk until mixed.
- Gently fold in the flour and spices until just combined. Be sure not to over mix the batter at this point.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases and place in the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes until brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Now for the frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon until smooth and combined.
- When the muffins are cool, with a knife spread the frosting on the top.
- Place the muffins in a fridge for an hour to firm up the frosting.
- Place the tiny gingerbread people on the top of the frosting.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12